Healing from an injury or improving your ability to manage pain is not always easy. It can be frustrating and exhausting giving yourself the time to heal fully. However, the medical service experts at Innate Medical Solutions are here for you. Our services are designed to target the root cause of your problem and eliminate it. However, while you’re not at the doctor’s office, there are practical things you can do to speed your healing process and give yourself the best health yet.
- Improve Blood Flow
If you are recovering from an injury, or are managing pain, one of the most beneficial things you can do to speed your healing process is to increase blood flow to the injured area. Delivering blood to the hurt area, or where you’re experiencing pain is essentially delivering oxygen and nutrients (that are necessary for healing) to the affected area.
You can increase blood flow a number of ways. Applying heat is a very effective method. It is recommended that if you use heat to speed your healing process, to keep the heat applied to the injury for 15-30 minutes, three to four times per day. Another way to reduce swelling and increase blood flow is to keep the injury elevated. This is recommended three to four times per day for 15-30 minutes.
Exercise is great for your overall health, including your blood flow circulation. To improve your blood circulation and your cardiovascular health, and therefore your healing process, consider exercise. Both aerobic and strength exercises are beneficial. Given that you are healing, don’t overdo it. Try walking, swimming, biking, anything that your body will allow you to do without too much pain.
Massage therapy is another way to increase blood flow to affected areas. It is a highly effective substitute to standard injury rehab procedures. Massage brings more oxygen and nutrients to injured areas because it stimulates circulatory movement and relaxes your muscles. Massage allows the injured area to become more flexible, reduce stiffness, and help you heal more quickly.
- Improve Your Diet
When you’re trying to heal, it’s important to make sure you are eating foods that are good for you. Your body will use extra vitamins, minerals, and the extra energy from extra calories.
Foods You Should Be Eating:
- Grains – Use whole grain sources as much as possible, and try to get a grain in every meal. What counts as a serving: one slice bread; 1/2 cup cooked cereal; one cup ready-to-eat cereal; 1/2 cup cooked rice or pasta.
- Vegetables – You’ll want to eat at least two servings per day.
- Fruits – You’ll want to eat at least two servings per day.
- Milk – This includes any dairy product. You want to eat approximately three servings per day. What counts as a serving: one cup milk; one cup yogurt; one and ½ ounces of natural cheese; two ounces of processed cheese.
- Meats And Beans – You’ll want to eat about five servings daily.
- Oils, Fats – These are a good source of calories, but are limited for certain prescribed diets.
- Listen To Your Doctor’s Instructions
Some of the direction you get from your doctor may seem a bit ridiculous and unnecessary, however there’s a reason behind it. Actually doing what your doctor suggests will help you heal faster, and get back to full health sooner rather than later. It’s also a good idea to keep up with doctor’s visits when you’re recovering. They will be looking for things you may not recognize, and it will greatly benefit you in the long-run.
Innate Medical Solutions offers several treatment options to target the root cause of your condition, and treat it from there, instead of mask it. Our team is comprised of medical doctors, nurse practitioners, and chiropractors so that you receive the most comprehensive care possible. Call now to make an appointment.